Alicia and the Picaros!

A Blog of my adventures as I travel around the world.

Monday, May 01, 2006

Sucre

Well I have spent the last two days in lovely city in Bolivia called Sucre. The bus ride there was again interesting. I would have had to wait a few hours for the next bus unless I took the offer of sitting in the cabin behind the driver on a shelf with some blankets, it was quite an interesting experience. Sucre is a lovely old colonial city, they have a great fruit and veg market.

















My first day there I met some cool guys from New Zealand and we visited a site nearby which has the longest dinosaur tracks in the world it is very interesting as they are vertical on a wall in a quarry. They were found there by workers, it is believed that tectonic movements have shifted them to their current vertical position.







In true bolivian style we got to touch and walk right up to the tracks, and saw a model of the site made of plastic dinosaurs and a tin can! I thought it was great, better than the new flashy visitor centre that is being built on the site.





Our guide Juan Carlos was really cool too, he met up with us later and took us to this beautiful convent which has spectacular views from the roof. Sucre looks more like it should be in Italy than Bolivia. Unfortuately my camera has stopped working and I do not know why.

The next day we drove to a town about 80Kms away for their Sunday market, which had lots of weavings and crafts so I did a bit of shopping. I had to change plans and catch a plane back to La Paz. There is a shortage of buses due to May day being a public holiday.

I am now in La Paz. The flight was not too bad considering it was a Bolivian airline. I needed to make it back to La Paz so I could take my jungle trip but this is now in doubt as the airline to the jungle is apparently not flying due to an accident with a condor. But it being a public holiday I can not contact my travel agent so I am not sure what the go is. I will keep you all updated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home