Alicia and the Picaros!

A Blog of my adventures as I travel around the world.

Monday, April 10, 2006

Cusco


Well, I have been in Cusco now for 4 days. It is crazy here it is so touristy. There is a combination of backpackers and the older travel crowd who are all here to see Machu Picchu and other incan ruins.

When you walk down the street people are offering you tours, alpaca jumpers, finger puppets, jewellery all sorts of stuff.

Unfortuately I will not be able to do the Inca Trail, as the government permits are all taken up and the next available are on the 25th of April and I can not wait that long. Otherwise I will not see any of Bolivia. I can do an alternative trek that still ends up at Machu Picchu. I am just waiting for a group to form to go which can be a bit frustrating. I am not too upset at not being able to do the Inca trail as recently there have been some mud slides so the sun gate is not open, which is one of the main highlights watching the sun rise over the ruins.

My hostel here is crazy. 130 beds and it is full of a lot of wankers and party people. The other night there were some people having sex in my dorm. I have not encountered people like this in the whole of my travels. I am looking forward to getting out of here and going trekking. That said I have met some really nice people. I met this English guy Paul and we have hung out and he will be in Bolivia the same time as me so it is nice to have a travel buddy.

So far I have visited the sights of Cusco the city. Paul and I took a loca bus to some Inca ruins at Tambo Machy, then walked back 7Kms to Cusco passing 3 other Inca ruins on the way,incuding the very impressive Sacsaywuman, or as you say it in English sexy woman. They are really quite facinating. The stonework is amazing and there aremany sacred sites where gods were worshiped.

Yesterday I went on a tour to the Sacred Vally of the Incas, again to see some more spectacular Incan ruins of Ollaytambo and Pisac. It was very touristy with many buses and people everywhere and lots of people selling there wears. It is tempting to go shopping there is lots of great stuff here. But I can not carry it all. Also there is the same things in Bolivia at half the price so I am holding out.

Well off to go and try and get my trek organised.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home