Alicia and the Picaros!

A Blog of my adventures as I travel around the world.

Monday, April 10, 2006

Getting pinned against a wall by Jesus


Hey a quick post. Today is a very holy day in South America. It is Easter week and yesterday was Palm Sunday. Here they celebrate on the Monday after. This afternoon a black jesus was paraded around town. The precession started in the Plaza de Armas and moved around town, I watched a bit then went to meet a friend for coffee. On my way back to my hostel I was walking down a street when the precession turned the corner. Suddenly I was surrounded by people, a marching band and a choir of children. The crowd was so huge it was like a mosh pit at a rock concert. I was pushed against a wall and stayed there for about 20 minutes until the procession passed.

It was quite amazing! People were throwing flowers at Jesus and the band was playing. Aparently the black Jesus. Do not forget to pronounce "j" as "h". Protects the people of Cusco from earthquakes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home