Alicia and the Picaros!

A Blog of my adventures as I travel around the world.

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Leaving Peru


Well, I have now left Peru. Crossing boarders via land does not seem dramatic as it does by plane. It takes a while to realize you are in a different country.

I really loved my time in Peru. It is such an amazing country, diverse terrain from deserts to mountains and jungle. I had 5 weeks there and feel like I got to see a good part of the country (given many tourists only go to Cusco/Machu Picchu) however it is one of those places you could explore for a long time.

Not only does Peru have some great scenery, it has a great history and interesting culture. Even though the Incan empire lasted for 100 years (it only took 120 Spanish to conquer them, they had guns though) it left a huge impression on the country. There are also many interesting pre-Incan sites and cultures to observe.

The thing I like most about Peru is its people. They are extremely friendly and very proud of their culture. They are excited to show you their country and teach you its history. Something as a tourist I really appreciated.

I really loved the areas of Huaraz and Arequipa. Even though there was tourism there it blended in with the area well and was not so obvious. Also these places had spectacular scenery.

Some of the things I like about Peru are the Eucalyptus tress, yep they are around. They were imported it is great seeing and smelling them. Reminds me of home. Also I love Inca Kola, it is neon yellow and tastes like bubblegum it is pretty funny. Another favourite is the Coca leaf. No I have not turned into some druggie. But it makes great tea which helps altitude sickness, upset stomaches and sore throats. So it for Peru it pretty much cures all that ails you. Also you can get any medication from a pharmacy with out a perscription which is great too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home