Alicia and the Picaros!

A Blog of my adventures as I travel around the world.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Potosi

Well, I am now in the mining town on Potosi, also located in arid regions of Bolivia. It is also the worlds highest city located at a whopping 4070m above sea level.

After a very bumpy bus ride I arrived. I am staying at the Koala Den Hostel (although not aussie run but heaps of them there). Apparently it is called Koala den after miners who chew coa leaves all day much like Koala bears chew gum leaves.



Today I took a tour of the co-operative mines. I guess the only word to describe it was hellish. Firstly we got changed into our gear (jumpsuit, helmet and lights etc) then went to the miners market. We bought soft drink, coca leaves and dynamite as gifts for the miners. Yes I was carring around dynamite (not just a stick also the fuse, detonator and an accelerator as well.




We then arrived at the mines, our guides then carried all the things that we bought. We descended a short way in to the musuem located in the mine which was quite interesting. Although tours go through the mines they are functioning mines with over 200 workers in our mine. Potosi itself has 12 000 miners. There are miners as young as 14 years old, and miners that have been working there for over 40 years. When miners start young they do not have a long life expectancy as conditions are so poor. On average life expectancy for those that start young are around 43 years. Dying of silicosis and realted diseases.

Most of the employment in the mines is due to no other jobs being available and keeping up a family tradition of mining. Our guide Efra was excellent he himself is an ex-miner. I found myself doing things that when I think about it now were very scarey. Crawling down fume filled tunnels on my knees or at times my stomach. A few people in our group had to leave because they could not handle it. I managed to go down to the 4th level. They guys working there work so hard as they work for themselves and sell the silver/iron/zinc to co-operatives.

















It is so hot and stuffy that the miners were always asking our guide for the drinks we brang and coca leaves to keep them going.

Although I would not describe it as a nice experience it was something I am defiantely glad I did. It was quite an eye opener to see the conditions of a mine in a 3rd world country are like. It makes you appreciate how lucky you are. Dominic next time I think about complaining at work I will think of my time in the mines and maybe shut my mouth!

The next day I bought a local weaving from a shop and visited the mint museum which was really interesting as at one stage due to the rich silver weins in the mines, Potosi was one of the richest countries in South America and they produced a lot of silver coins for spain.

I am still trying to find a computer who a, has a USB port and b, is also fast enough to upload pictures...Sorry

1 Comments:

At 11:41 AM, Blogger Alicia said...

I managed to time it perfectly well with the guys in Tassie kinda scary if you think about it.

I think the worst thing is seeing the guys who are 13 years old and looking at them thinking about there future.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home