Alicia and the Picaros!

A Blog of my adventures as I travel around the world.

Friday, May 05, 2006

Even more to scare mum!

World´s most dangerous road!

Well my jungle trip was cancelled. Some kind of bird flew into the engine of the one functioning plane that the airline had. So the airline had to cancel all flights and I could not make it to the jungle. I could do it on a bus, but that would take 30 hours and involves quite an awful bus ride (part of it on the worlds most dangerous road). I was a little dissapointed but not upset, you come to expect these things in Bolivia and South America so there is no point letting it ruin your trip or getting worked up about it.

















Not wanting to spend a whole week in La Paz, I decided to push my mountain biking trip forward and spend a few days relaxing in the lovely town of Corico.

















Well it has been a long term goal of mine to mountain bike down the worlds most dangerous road. It runs from La Paz to Corico. It sees over 100 deaths per year. A few reasons for this are:
- It is only really wide enough for one car or bus (but has two way traffic).
- It is cut into mountains and has shear cliff drops of 1000m
- the road is unpaved and has no barriers.
- the worst reason of all, the crazy Bolivian bus drivers.

















The road starts at an altitude of 3600m near snow capped mountains and you descend 2000 meters (in only 64 Kms) to the town of Corico set in low land cloud forrest. The scenery on the ride is truely spectacular, but you have to watch the road more.

But it is great fun to mountain bike. I did it with a really reputable company http://gravitybolivia.com who had great bikes (dual suspesion) with a great safety record. It was such a fun day. I loved being on the bike, at times it was a little hairy but not too scarey. I have some great photos, which I will be put up soon.

Alternativly the company takes some photos which are available on the web here is the site.

http://www.shutterfly.com/progal/sign_in.jsp?aid=768a5498cf45780b7afe

"photos" is the password.

I have spent the last few days hanging out with my friend paul in Corico at a cool hotel, with a pool, sauna and generally just lounging around reading. Today it is off to La Paz so I can take my flight to Chile.

Now I have to take the bus back up the road which I am more scared about than coming down by bike.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home