Alicia and the Picaros!

A Blog of my adventures as I travel around the world.

Friday, December 22, 2006

Budapest


Well after a hefty 8 hour train ride but made all the more cooler by those eastern european trains with the old style carriages where you can stretch out, I finally arrived in Budapest. The scenery on the train ride was truely un-remarkable. Fields fields fields and more fields. Will met me at the train station somewhat pissed and in good spirts. We headed back to our hostel then went in search of some dinner. The temperature had really dropped of late so we had to dress warm. After a long walk and getting somewhat lost we found the Hungarian restaurant we were looking for. Hungarian food is not that well catered to vego but I had some crumbed mushrooms which were good. Budapest is such a lovely city and at night with the christmas lights it looked fantastic the heros square looked great. The next day was spent in bed feeling very sorry for ourselves with illness. Me with a bad cold and Will's ankle was sprained.



The following day we were determined to see the sights and walked around the Pest side and visited the heros square again we walked around the parks and watched little kids in speed skating races and visited a Van Gough exhibition at one of the museums. Dinner that night was topped off with a rather heavy drinking session which saw us end up back in the hostel at 5am. I was going to call Dave and Lisa and give them a congrats for their wedding but with all the time differences I do not think I would have caught them. But I tried to make up for it.


















The next day off to explore the Buda side visiting the old royal palace church and castle. We had some great views of the city even if it was hidden in fog. That evening we went to the very famous and popular hotsprings in town for a soak in the warm waters. It is full of local old men playing ches in the water which is pretty cool. Worn out by the hot springs and with my cold and Will's bung leg it was an early dinner then bed. The next day we took a flight back to London. Me because I had to go back to work the next day and Will was staying at my place then continuing on to Amsterdam and Turkey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home