Alicia and the Picaros!

A Blog of my adventures as I travel around the world.

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Berlin

Back on the road again.

With all the work and goings on in London I didn't really have time to think about my next trip only that I had to use these flights before the 27th of Dec and have 17 days to get from Berlin to Croatia with no plan in between. But so far I have been having a blast.

I arrived late in the afternoon and got chatting to a Canadian guy in my hostel Will, and then we were joined for a beer by an aussie girl Kate. Kate lives in Cecil st around the corner and about 3 minutes from me in Melbourne. Small world! We went out for a few beers and we have been travelling together since, they are so much fun and we are having a blast!

Our first day in Berlin we did a walking tour taking in the sights and history of Berlin including nazi rule communist rule and the wall finally coming down. We chris-crossed where the wall used to be, and saw what remained. Visited old ss bunkers and the book burning square, where hitlers bunker once stood and visited some monuments and learnt a bit more about the city's history which is so vast it is hard to fit in a walking tour. Then Kate and I walked around for a little while, tried to visit the Reichstag but the line was too long and it was getting cold. We did stop at Christams market and drank some Gluhwien (warm spiced red wine). It definately feels more christmasy when it is cold.

That night we had a great dinner then sampled Berlin's great nightlife, they have some great bars and know how to party.

The next day another walking tour mainly about the 3rd reich. So a bit depressing but again such a fascinating history in this city so much to take in again. That night we were a little parited out so Kate and I went to the movies to watch Borat. A great laugh but some of the Jewish jokes are not so great especially after the tour we had just done.

I only got a taste of Berlin, but it is truely an amazing city and although you can say that about a lot of cities. It has such an intense history of both tragic and world changing moments and to top it off only a few of the old buildings are left but it looks and feels like a young city that is got it's feet now firmly planted and is really set to take off. I can't wait to come back here

1 Comments:

At 6:29 AM, Blogger Alicia said...

Off to Slovenia soon. Not sure how much time I will have

 

Post a Comment

<< Home