Alicia and the Picaros!

A Blog of my adventures as I travel around the world.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Viva la France




Hey all,

Well it is a bit late but this is my blog post for my week in France. I caught the train from Barcelona to Nice in the South of France. My parents met me at the station and it was really nice to see them again.

I was misunderstood in thinking that my parents were staying in a house that was just out of Nice. In fact they were staying in a tiny little village 70Kms outside of Nice. The village was called Entrevoux, up more in the Provence region on France.

It was gorgeous, a fortified village set into a mountain, very medieval complete with drawbridge and moat to cross to enter the village. The houses were very sweet and there were lots of little cobbled streets and only a handful of shops. Our house was tall and skinny and four storeys high. We enjoyed a lot of time on the top balcony with views of the vally.



Most of our days were spend reading, some local sight seeing, enjoying the quiet and food and wine. The village is very pretty and many French tourists came to visit it. We felt a bit fraudulent saying bonjour to them, letting them think we were a local but the French are so lovely I do not know why everyone bitches about them. Every time I saw someone in the street or in a shop the would always say hello how are you? (in French of course) they were lovely maybe it is the country side. I am yet to hit Paris.

My parents friend Gary was also there, so he joined us. One day we went to Monte Carlo to observe the obscene wealth that is there, it is a lovely area and some of the buildings are lovely. There were some of the biggest yachts I have ever seen and pricey cars to boot.

We also went to visit some of the other little villages in the surrounding area, with the autum colours the French countryside is lovely. We went for a look around Nice as well which in my opinion was quite disappointing. A nice water front but the rest of it is a little ugly.

We took a great drive to a town called Grass, which is where there are perfumeries, it was not that nice and the perfumeries a little disappointing. I guess the day was a little tainted as two guys on a motorbike tried to get into our car while we were stopped a good thing the door was locked.



I have also been enjoying some lovely fresh French produce and we had some fantastic meals at a local restaurant which was run by a charming local guy Patrick and his wife. The food was amazing, I had a fantastic warm goats cheese salad and ohhhhhh the desserts. I am not looking forward to the food back in the UK, although if I stay here you may have to roll me back to the UK.

The last few days we had beautiful sunshine, I had a cold so look the time out to relax. On our last day my dad and I walked up to the Citadel on top of the village, where we had some specular views.


After a week it was time to move on so we caught the train to Geneva but that will be the next blog.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home