Alicia and the Picaros!

A Blog of my adventures as I travel around the world.

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Las Leñas!

Well, because of the terrible weather we left Bariloche in search of some snow. Rob and Nina left a day before us, as there was not enough seats on the bus to I had to travel with just Tom. We took a 14 hour bus from Bariloche and arrived in a town called San Rafael at 4am. Where we had to wait 5 hours in an all night cafe watching football repeats for a bus to the ski resort town of Las Leñas. Now after 24 hours with out sleep, 20 hours with out food. Those that know me would know that I was about ready to kill someone!!!

But we finally got on the bus to Las Leñas where I got to have a nap. When we arrived we caught up with Rob and Nina and settled into our place. It was a georgeous town and seeing the snow made me light up. I was itching to get on the slopes but needed food sleep and rental gear.

















The next day I started with a lesson with a cool Argentinian chica Ivana. She was a great teacher and has been the only person who has been able to overcome my problem of turning heel to toe edge. So I had a fantastic lesson where we went all over the mountain and I was boarding really well and improving on every run with Ivana´s help. I caught up with Rob and Nina and did more runs in the afternoon and it was fantastic.

















Later in the afternoon I snuck into a bar where I met the only other Australian on the mountain as we both wanted to watch the Australia Croacia game. So with the result of the football all and all it was a fantastic day.

The next day I did not board in the morning as only 2 small runs were open as it was so windy they had to close all lifts. In the afternoon the wind died down and the lifts began to open up and I went out again. It was difficult conditions as the wind had blown the snow into big patches and left most of the terrain very icy so I had some great crashes. That said it was still fun I was just a little sore the next day.

1 Comments:

At 7:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Las Lenas! I loved it!

Hey! I'm the "only other Australian on the mountain" who was watching the game with you. We also bumped into each other at a cafe in Buenos Aires one time - both nursing nasty hangovers as I recall (but BA is that kind of city).

Tom Mitchell - Sydney, Australia.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home