Alicia and the Picaros!

A Blog of my adventures as I travel around the world.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Turning into Uter?

Many of you may not know that there is a very large German influence in Chile. In the 1800´s the government granted land in the South of Chile to Germans from the black forest. Also after the world war many Germans came to seek refuge in Chile.

There presence has had a significant influence, mostly postive (apparently according to my teacher there are a few neo nazis in Chile). In the lake district many of the houses resemble German styled cottages. There is a German influence in the food as well. Many restaurants have menus in spanish/german (and sometimes english too) and there is a german fast food chain called ¨Fritz¨, where the staff where hats and lederhosen!

Also as I think I have mentioned that there are many chocolate and cake (kuchen) shops. After not eating cake for about 5 months it is quite exciting and I have been treating myself to cake and chocolate. The other day I had to wait 2 and a half hours for a bus so I went for cake. Because the weather has been so bad, I have not been as active as normal and I am worried that I am turning into Uter from the simpsons.
















¨Dont make me run I'm full of chocolate!¨

Did you you know? In the dubbed German version of the show, Üter is Swiss and not German; for the German audience Üter's frequent references to chocolate fit more to stereotypes the Germans connect to the Swiss and not themselves, although for most people the character fits well to popular clichés about the Germans, like wearing leaderhosen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home