Alicia and the Picaros!

A Blog of my adventures as I travel around the world.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

What the hell am I doing and where am I?

Well, For the last month I have been living near Maidstone, Kent. Where the hell is that you might ask? It is an hour on national rail south east of London. Kent is the 'Garden of England'. It is pretty green and there is a lot of good old English country side to see.


















I live in a nurses residence at Maidstone Hospital with a woman Belinda (who lived in Aus for 20 years) she's very nice but older and has her own family etc. and another girl margaret who keeps to herself. The Maidstone Hospital is a 20 minute bus ride from town pretty much in the middle of no-where.

















I work in community health at Preston Hall Hosptial which is a further 30 mins walk away from where I live. It is a nice walk past some horses, fields and green. But I say walk because I have to walk there is no bus. So when the weather turns bad it will not be so great. It looks like an old castle I thought it was an old mental asylym but apparently it was a TB hospital.

















My job has been somewhat crazy. The only audiologist they have here is a crusty old guy who is about to retire and they have been practising audiology 70's style here with the equipment and testing methods. Slowly but surely I have been trying to shake things up here, and with the help of my new locum buddy Tina (who is super experinced and a real go getter) we are turning things around.

As for me it can be quite isolating here it is difficult to meet people my own age. I am meeting some people who speak Spanish for some conversation practise and I hope that goes well. However I miss all my friends back home, and the friends I do have here are either all the way in Northern, Scotland or in London.

I head to London most weekends, to visit some galleries, look around and meet up with some of the friends I have there who I would like to thank for looking out for me most especially to Angie and Danny who have been so lovely and accomodating and have really given me an ear to listen and valuable advice when needed.

So that is where I am right now, I have not heard from many of you in a while so keep me updated on all the news back home and yes I know the Crocodile Hunter died. People went a little crazy for it here as well but apparently nothing like back home.

Lots of love to all.

4 Comments:

At 5:01 AM, Blogger Alicia said...

ellen, crazy you my e-mail is aliciahull@gmail.com

I think that is about the 3rd time I have told you. Anymore and you will need a spanking

 
At 5:01 AM, Blogger Alicia said...

ellen, crazy you my e-mail is aliciahull@gmail.com

I think that is about the 3rd time I have told you. Anymore and you will need a spanking

 
At 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That would be the 4th time now, and based on the fact that after the 3rd time she should get a spanking, I think one is now deserved!

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Danny said...

Who's counting? Just spank her anyway. Don't forget to take pictures.
DN

 

Post a Comment

<< Home