Alicia and the Picaros!

A Blog of my adventures as I travel around the world.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Camaguey-Santiago (Tu Kola no rum)

Well after leaving Trinidad, I caught the bus to Camaguey which is meant to be an interesting arty kinda down it was pretty but there was not much going on, I only spent a day there walking around town taking a few interesting photos. I got ripped off (only a few dollars) by this bici taxi guy, even though I knew there was not much I could do at the time, at least I got to tell him to piss off, in Spanish of course.

After Camaguey on to Santago de Cuba, which I really did not like. The city is dirty (even for Cuba) and busy which footpaths about 20cm wide, hustlers galore and not much to see in the city. My first day I was really upset because the Casa family had given me the wrong address, well actually never gave me the correct address. Turns out that the woman I booked with was unable to take me because of her grandson being born, so she arranged for some friends of hers to meet me at the bus station and I would stay at there casa. However my new family failed to mention any of this. This resulted in me getting fabulosly lost in the heat, however the lovely lady who lives at the house I thought I was at, gave me a drink, sat me down called my house and gave me the correct address. When I asked my family why they did not give me the address their lame excuse was simply they forgot. So at this point I was feeling a little homesick and frustrated and wanted to get out of the city.

I did however see some lovely things, such as a Castillo san pedro del Morro, a lovely old castle fort on the coast of the city and also a basillica building with this sacred Mary statue all these people had donated things as offerings and blessings, Hemingways nobel prize was there but someone tried to steal it so it is not on display anymore.

So I had only two nights there and took the overnight bus 13 hrs back to Havana.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home