Alicia and the Picaros!

A Blog of my adventures as I travel around the world.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Rocky 2


Hey all,

Well I'm back in Vancouver now. I had an amazing time in the Rockies I didn't want to leave. Everyone from our tour was sad as we'd all had such an amazing time. I know I've posted about the rockies before but it was very brief not much detail.

I enjoyed snowboarding, I found it challenging scarey and fun all at the same time. I got some leasons at Sunshine Village, and Lake Louise which are located around Banff. We spend 3 nights in Banff which is such a pretty town, but it now has a population of around 50% Aussies. You end up going I thought I same to get away from it. Lake louise is so pretty, the lake was all frozen and they have a castle made of ice on it. People were iceskating as well.

From Banff we travelled to Kimberley which is a small mining town which also has a ski resort on the way stoping for a hike to a frozen lake and radium hot springs. We watched the sun come up from the mountain and skied/boarded first runs.

Then on to Fernie which is a town I really liked it's like Banff without the tourists and also has some of the best powder in the rockies (they have avalance blasts going off all day so we don't get crushed). First day boarding had great runs but was raining so everyone was cold and wet. Next day it was snowing all over the mountain so it was super fun. After nearly 5 days of consecutive boarding, my body was sore and I have some great bruises from Stacking it. One of my highlights of my trip so far was going to the local hockey game. Fernie Vs Golden. Junior B leage match which means more fights. Also you are close to the action because it's a local game. After the visitors scored a goal someone put a live chicken on the ice. Poor thing was freaked out it took a while before it was ushered off the ice.

On the way back to banff we went to Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump which is where the native Candians, ran buffalo off a cliff top to kill them for the Fall slaughter it was a great museum and it was great to do something cultural as well as just snowboarding.

After Fernie it was back to Banff (where it was snowing). Where again I was able to do something I could never do back home. Go DOG SLEEDING it was so much fun. I co-drove the sled and also rode in it. It was an awsome experience.

Back in Vancouver now, been to the Capillano suspension bridge and Stanley park which is fun but it's been raining non-stop here for 26 days which puts a dampner on things (pardon the pun).

Looking forward to heading to New York soon. Much love xoxo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home